10 replies [Last post]
indermohan's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-03-19

Hi!
Two days back I got my red n rust color male doberman pup. He is around three months old. But very affectionate on me. He is very obedient too but he does not know bout pooping n peeing, whole day i juz keep on cleaning. But my husband said, its normal for his age. I dont know. N he listens only to me, so, is doberman a 'one man dog'? Kindly assist.
Thank you.

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

It would seem that some are one man dogs..
My husband and I share equal love from our DoberDiva Sofia.. She's daddy's girl, but Momma's baby.
He does the romps in the fields, the car rides and I do the cuddles and hour long ear scritches.. we both feed her, and she clearly misses Mike when he's gone, however I left in the car yesterday and she cried  for a bit and went to Dad for comfort.. He gave her a little liver treat and all was well.  Potty training is different with each dog, but they learn quickly if you take them outside frequently and praise the heck out of them when they do their bizness.
What is your pups' name? Send pictures as we all love to watch the kids grow.
Welcome to the forum!!

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

Ooops sorry.  :o I just saw the heading on your post.. Rocky.. his name is Rocky.. Where did he come from? And what part of the country are you located.. If your weather is good, you'll  have no trouble potty training him. They seem to hate the rain, and that makes it a challenge.. But get used to challenges.. Rocky will rock your world!

rgreen4's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-26

The key is to take them out frequently, about every two hours or so. When the do it outside, make a very big deal of it, as if that was the greatest thing to ever take place. You have to remember that at that age, when their system says the have to go, they have only seconds before they are going. Be sure to take them outside when you first get them up and about 5 minutes after they have eaten. Delay means clean up time.

Even now that she is 16 months old, every time I let Princess out of her crate, out she and Red go. Princess is a red female and Red (aptly named) is my 7 year old red male. You will have to learn her signal. Each dog will be different. Red just stands there looking at me, and if I say "outside" he will head to the door. Princess will bug me by nudging my arm with her nose. Again I say "outside" and she will head to the door. They got this way, because every time I put them out, I say "outside", so they associate that word with going out.

Now sometimes they don't need to potty, they just want to play outside, and that's ok. Sometimes they will bug me and I say "outside" and they just sit there looking at me, and I then know the water bowl is empty again. I have to fill it about three times a day, it only holds 5 quarts.

A Dobie is very intelligent, very people attached (we call them velcro dogs) and they want to please you more than anything. A little effort in training them will yield a very wonderful companion. I have had at least one Dobie in my life since the summer of 1982 and I cannot imagine being without one.

indermohan's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-03-19

Lady Kate wrote:

It would seem that some are one man dogs..
My husband and I share equal love from our DoberDiva Sofia.. She's daddy's girl, but Momma's baby.
He does the romps in the fields, the car rides and I do the cuddles and hour long ear scritches.. we both feed her, and she clearly misses Mike when he's gone, however I left in the car yesterday and she cried  for a bit and went to Dad for comfort.. He gave her a little liver treat and all was well.  Potty training is different with each dog, but they learn quickly if you take them outside frequently and praise the heck out of them when they do their bizness.
What is your pups' name? Send pictures as we all love to watch the kids grow.
Welcome to the forum!!

Hi!
Thanks a lot for replyin, Lady Kate. It's my pleasure to b a part of this forum. My baby(Rocky) is learning where to go for pooping now. N He is very active. Well, i will post his pictures soon. M enjoyin my life with him. Bcoz he has become an integral part of my life like my baby. Whole day whtever i do, he  always comes n sits nxt to me, even he is sleeping, he wl somehow manage to get up n come. I LOVE HIM!!!
;)

indermohan's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-03-19

Lady Kate wrote:

Ooops sorry.  :o I just saw the heading on your post.. Rocky.. his name is Rocky.. Where did he come from? And what part of the country are you located.. If your weather is good, you'll  have no trouble potty training him. They seem to hate the rain, and that makes it a challenge.. But get used to challenges.. Rocky will rock your world!

Hi!
I live in India(Chennai) south region of the country. The weather here is hot. So, my Rocky loves to b in a.c. N about potty training, he is learning. I guess  within two months, he wl b perfect. Well, its been 10 days, i got him n he learnt basic commands like SIT,STAND, DOWN, TURN OVER, STAY n SHAKE HAND etc. M confident bout him.. Juz dealing with him with love n patience.
:)

Q Tip's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Pet Profiles

:D Hy Indermohan. Kiaora from New Zealand. (what an international lot we are) ;)
My dobie isnt that struck on the heat either, once he has had his walk down at the ocean edge, it's back to the shade to nap for the rest of the day :) Love and patience sounds an excelent recipe :P

indermohan's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-03-19

Q Tip wrote:

:D Hy Indermohan. Kiaora from New Zealand. (what an international lot we are) ;)
My dobie isnt that struck on the heat either, once he has had his walk down at the ocean edge, it's back to the shade to nap for the rest of the day :) Love and patience sounds an excelent recipe :P

Hi!
Kiaora. Good to hear bout ur dobe. I think all d dobes r soooooooo lovable, tht once u get them in lyf, cant imagine lyf without them. Wish u grt time with ur dobe!!! :D Well, whts his/her name? ???

Q Tip's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Pet Profiles

;D My puppy 15 months old now is called Q, he is a red too :) You dont realise how fast they grow. Last winter Q was wearing one of my sleeveless ski jackets..but he cant even put an arm through it now. I have to get him something nice for winter to keep warm this year :)

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

How did you teach Rocky to shake hands??
Sofia refuses to do any tricks.. nada zero zip..
I toss a ball and she just looks at it.
I tried hiding a treat under a plastic cup, she ignored it..
Shake? forget it.. she is not enticed by treats or praise..  I don't think anyone ever taught her how to play when she was a puppy and now she's become so "dignified" she thinks it's unseemly. She's quite the DoberDiva, extremly well mannered and just a mellow girl.
Have fun with your pup. They get so big so fast.

indermohan's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-03-19

Insert Quote
How did you teach Rocky to shake hands??
Sofia refuses to do any tricks.. nada zero zip..
I toss a ball and she just looks at it.
I tried hiding a treat under a plastic cup, she ignored it..
Shake? forget it.. she is not enticed by treats or praise..  I don't think anyone ever taught her how to play when she was a puppy and now she's become so "dignified" she thinks it's unseemly. She's quite the DoberDiva, extremly well mannered and just a mellow girl.
Have fun with your pup. They get so big so fast.

Hi!
Lady Kate. i think that training a pup is easier than training a grownup one. Sofia was already grown up when you got her, may be her interest would be different regarding playing with you. But my Rocky is 3+ month now, this is the time when he is very naughty. He always wants someone to play with him. He is very playful. He understands each and every reaction of mine and he loves to get treat. So, for treat he does whatever I say. I don't teach him new commands nowadays. I think that he should be perfect in these commands first. And he is really doing Well. Wish you too enjoy SILENT love of your Sofia!! She is really elegant gal.  :)