grrrrowl 180 seconds ;>)

4 replies [Last post]
^,^
^,^'s picture

What is up with this 180 thingy I don't have all day to wait on this to finish up replies!

rgreen4's picture

Judy, as much as we like our forum, there are some not so nice people out there. They come in and post what we SPAM, sometimes it is minor some times it is a lengthy post promoting a product, or even just their own website. The post will have nothing to do with the topic of the discussion or even Dobermans. Then we have what we at PC World's Forum call Spam Bombers. (I am a member moderator over there).

This morning I got on and a member had reported a SPAM post. I looked at the post and it was definitely SPAM and then I looked at his recent posts. Spammers always have a low post count. He was up to 31, he had joined at 8:10 and this was 8:20 and he had posted 31 Spam posts. He even double posted in three threads! While the 180 second count will not prevent a Spammer, it will prevent Spam Bombing. About a year ago I had one that was posting faster than I could delete them. I came while he was in the middle of his run, he had 20 when I started, his final count was 58 in about 25 minutes.

Alpha is his own moderator and does a good job, and can handle it since we are a small community. (PCW has 4 member moderators plus a professional IT person on the staff if we need him, and 250,000 members at last count. We have about 2,500+ members). Of course over there we have to deal with a problem that Alpha thankfully doesn't have to contend with. Arguments about which is better, Mac or Windows, or there is one going on now that has created 10 pages of comments in two days, Android phones vs. iPhones. They get into name calling and the use of obscenities. We are fairly successful at keeping the discussions clean, but at times it's an effort.

I have run into the 180 second trap a few times, so when responding, if I think I'm going to hit it, I just turn around an pet Red or Princess for a while, or go get another cup of hot chocolate.

Sorry for being so long winded.

^,^
^,^'s picture

That makes a lot of sense!!! I use too use PCW a lot back about 10 years ago, not so much now! I also use to get their magazine. Oh I so know about the cage rattling!!! LOL  been a member for years on a local, yet big forum and they can run you nut's on a lot of crap like that!!!

Sorry to rush but I was on looking for a PDF on how to take the back cover off my laptop... It needs blowing really bad, it's been over heating and shutting down...Just dawned on me to clean it first before taking it in. Would you believe I have not reformatted this system for 3 years...use to do them all regularly.

rgreen4's picture

Just take a can of compressed air and blow in through the fan intakes and vents. Unless your laptop is a lot different than my HPs, you might be alble to take some access panels off, but not the entire back cover. Actually the "back cover" is the bottom of the tray that all the parts go into. To get inside, you actually have to take off the keyboard. I build my own desktops, but will not try to go into the laptops.

^,^
^,^'s picture

Went to HP got the maintenance guide told me how many screws and what all to take lose. So I  did. Geesh you would not believe how nasty one of them can get

LOL these images are not mine I used them to show how nasty it can be on the inside.......I got them

Here
http://www.itinfoonline.com/?p=99

and here....
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaP15/fix_laptop_overheating.htm... See More

I use to work on PC's till about 4 years ago myself. I have done it since win 3.1 came out, but I just can't keep up with it all today nor do I want to anymore. It is just way too much to remember, to check, to do, to fix! o.0