Zeppelin (30" - 105 lbs) 2-1/2 Years

12 replies [Last post]
HDDP's picture

The true Gentleman Doberman 2 1/2 Years, 30" at the Withers, 105 Pounds... And a sweet loving personality...

karie's picture

Pet Profiles

good looking dog !! have a great 4th of july !!!!

Lady Kate's picture

Pet Profiles

He's stunning..

MommaL's picture

Enjoy your big doberboy.  He has a sweet face!

SIH002's picture

Very Handsome Boy

Beautiful!

K-9's What Fun's picture

Gorgeous!!

I like those ears-really cute!

Dasz88's picture

So handsome!!!

I'm glad you love your boy - some people may not like this, but I'm going to say it anyway. The Doberman standard calls for males to be 26" - 28" at the withers - this is not supposed to be a large and very heavy breed. Sometimes even a well bred Doberman is out of standard, but it is a fault and not something to be proud of... and should NEVER  be bred for. 

Love your guy, but make sure to keep him lean as being overweight can really contribute to an early death - especially in a breed that is very heavy on heart disease.  

HDDP's picture

I agree Fitz, Zeppelin is definately outside show standard though he has 5 champions in his bloodline, the Fawn coat and his size is quite unusual. Thankfully he has a "little sister" to keep him in line...

Oversized happens - one of the most beautiful Dobermans I've ever seen was 30": Ch Phillmar X-Static CD ROM. I saw him in person at one of the Doberman nationals when he showed as a veteran dog. I actually bred to a Champion son of his who was standard sized - so my Jezebel is his grandaughter... and she is a smidge over standard. I do prefer standard sized as I want to be a close to the standard as possible while realizing that no dog is perfect.

The fawn coat is a dilution of red and at least 75% of fawns (and blues) will experience some degree of thinning coat by maturity. Unscrupulous breeders market them as "rare" and sell them for more. Reputable breeders avoid producing them because of the coat issues, and never charge more for them. As your boy gets older, you may or may not see some significant coat loss. I've actually seen both blues and fawns that ended up totally bald - that is more rare, but happens. The biggest issue is protecting their exposed skin from the sun and cold.

Champion pedigrees are important, but depending on how deep that pedigree is, 4 is not many. My Harvard has only 1 non-champion in his 5 generation pedigree (so 30 champions), Jezebel only has 2 non-champions in her 5 generation pedigree. Harvard is an AKC Grand Champion and has only been bred once; Jezebel was spayed and never bred. Plenty of champion Dobermans are never bred. 

DOGMAN45's picture

My black and tan, Zeke is also too big for the standard.  I try not to hold that against him.  He's AKC but he ended up taller than the standard.  I never intended to breed him so I'm fine with his size.  He's healthy, smart and has a great personality.  I doubt he or my female, Ruby, have 40 or 50 champions in their breed line.  I'm ok with that too. 

karie's picture

Pet Profiles

dogman45 zeke and ruby are beautiful !!