"Leave it" value #498

6 replies [Last post]
MommaL's picture

On the ranch, "leave it" is an invaluable command ... like when dead things find their way into the mouths of doberdorks or when he stumbles upon field mice or cottontail nests. 

Last night it found a new value when the skunk showed up.  The barking ensued.  The command was given.  Rip PROMTPLY returned.  (He had encountered a skunk two weeks prior.  He was sprayed in the butt as he was leaving.  And for a dog that dislikes baths, three day consecutive skunk bath treatments was akin to chinese water torture.  Lola turned her nose up at him for a week and would walk out of her way to avoid crossing his path.)

The diva doxy chose to ignore the command.  And received a full frontal attack, in the eyes, up the nose, down the throat as she came spitting and sputtering to the door.  Rip found it highly entertaining to watch the treatment process because ... well, payback's a bitch, right?! ;)

AresMyDobie's picture

Pet Profiles

Lol so glad we don't have a lot of critters here lol

Sgourle's picture

Pet Profiles

Hahaha that's a great story! Otto was sprayed by a skunk once and I could certainly go without that happening again! It smelled so bad in the entire house that I rushed my work uniform into the car and drove it to the end of the street so no one would smell "skunk" at work :P

Lady Kate's picture

Pet Profiles

Oh how funny... love your story Momma/// you have a great way with words... the visuals are amazing...

We have the black and whites here at times and Sofia will FROTH to get at them.. Fortunately we've never been attacked... those things are HUGE in Baja.

karie's picture

Pet Profiles

how long does it take to rid them of the skunk smell ? does it ever really go away ? hope sunna never has to find out lol!

MommaL's picture

We use a "skunk formula" of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dish soap, repeated 3 consecutive days.  The odor goes away quickly (depending a little on how close the dog was when it was sprayed)

karie's picture

Pet Profiles

thanks will keep that recipe on hand just in case lol !