TUMS 1000mg Feed puppy tums or rolaids after cutting

7 replies [Last post]
alabamadobies's picture

Alice she had a floppy ear one looked great and one was a pancake after the first posting i worked with posting ear for maybe two weeks yea one ear standing perfect other ear was pancake flat and seemed to be really limp.   Got a good buddie of mine he is a dog trainer and knows alot about training dogs and health of a dog.   talking to him soon after alice ears was done he said man just give her some tums or rolaids it will make it stand up.    Three days went by feeding her tums 1000 she loved them like treats time to freshing up posting and BAM left ear hard has rock and never limped ever again.  You can believe this or not I dont care but i know what it did to my babys ears.   dogs at puppy stage when teething most all calicum intake goes toward there teeth and cartlige in ears gets shorted is what i made out of it anyways do what you make out of it just a TIP

thanks

jeshykai's picture

Pet Profiles

I can believe it or not you don't care?  I can believe you're putting out really dangerous information from someone who just happens to "know the health of the dog" really well?  Well, let me tell you about calcium carbonate and overdosing on it.  It'll effect the kidneys of your puppy since you're basically overdosing him/her on Tums 1000mg as treats.  That's a high dose for a human adult: a 100+lb individual.  Your puppy is probably 20-30 pounds, so that's almost 5 times the suggested dose for that size.

Here's a link I dug up so you can read a little more about what overdosing on antacids/calcium carbonate does to the body.  Granted, it's just a link on the internet but you can google to your hearts content and find the information in more than one place:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78667

It is also not common knowledge, since Tums has a great marketing ploy of slapping, "Calcium Supplement" on their packaging.. but calcium carbonate is not a ready form of calcium for the body.  It contains calcium but not the type that your body processes.  So... the likliness that the Tums helped with the ears is pretty low.

Please be careful when you give your animals human medications.  The reason why they are for humans and not animals is often because the dosage and strength is FAR FAR too high for their bodies and you'll do more damage than good in "self-dosing" them.

You'd be better off being patient and keep posting through the teething stage rather than trying to rush a process that takes time.

Thundrafire's picture

I was thinking that it was a bad idea. Sorta like big red flag. No medicine should be given unless prescribed. It may look like everything is fine but you don't have the equipment nor the know how apparently. Like jeshykai has already stated human medicines are too strong for a dog. On top of that it was the adult size medicine. That is like giving it to a child of about 6 maybe 7 years old. Also even if it is safe for humans doesn't mean it is safe for your Doberman or any dog. Perfect example is Chocolate. Fine for humans deadly for dogs. Since you didn't mention the label did you even read it? Just because it says inactive doesn't mean it is not there. and says no more then 7 for and adult human. I think you should have talked to your vet first. 

Magnumdobie's picture

I think anyone looking for a form of calcium for their pets should just add non fat yogart or cottage cheese to their kibble it worked like a charm to help my doberboy's ears to stand ! Its a simple way and one where your not toying with medication like Tums which as pointed above may have adverse affects wheither apparent at the moment or down the line. I won't be giving my dog any human grade medicines unless I had advice from an actual Vet not a friend who claims to know the health of a dog :)

alabamadobies's picture

i seriously doubt a total of maybe ten rolaids hurt a dogs kindeys all i know is it worked and she is very heathly dog now a 3 years old people can do what they want to do and take it how they wont take it.   Grain isant meant for a dogs either but most all dog food has it and people feed it to them.   Just like people thought i was crazy raw feeding her also

I agree that yogurt is an excellent way to get more calcium into your dobermans diet. Just make sure that is the plain stuff, the flavored yogurt has too much sugar and is bad for a dobies health. Our Tiny absolutely loves his yogurt mixed in his kibble morning and night :)

Isis's picture

People and what they "think" they know.

zdano65's picture

Pet Profiles

1000mg of tums on a daily basis for a puppy could actually damage his kidneys. I would double check with your Vet and make sure there were no misunderstandings. We recently had our pups ears cropped and they had us giving him liquid cod liver oil to help with the cartlidge.