Spaying soon...VWDisease...should I test?

3 replies [Last post]
Narita's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-10-07

Pet Profiles

My Ruby is 13 months now (been through her first heat in June--no more hooded vulva!- and she's also recently gotten over thinking she was pregnant)

So I am thinking its time to get her spayed. I was going to wait until she was a yr and a half, but after both those incidents... I think we are at a good time now  :)

I've read and read and read about spaying but no one has mentioned getting the test for

Van Willebrand's  Disease prior to surgery.

 

Do you think its a good idea? Is it necessary?

You can have your vet test for clotting time just before surgery, but the test that most vets use (a blood test - Elisa) to determine VWD is not accurate and I would not waste your money.  It IS a good idea to test for VWD status - the test is one that you order from one of two companies that do them...... it is a DNA test done with a cheek swab. The cost varies but should be between about $99-$150.  Vetgen is one company and I think Vetnostics is the other. If the test comes back negative or carrier, then there is no need for your vet to charge extra or have plasma on hand for a surgery. Most affecteds will never be clinically affected.... but they could become clinically affected at some point in their life. 

It is best to spay about 1/2 way between two heats - I generally say 3 months after a heat.... but some bitches cycle more often. 

Narita's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-10-07

Pet Profiles

TY so much! Yes, your comments are why I am choosing now. I figure if she is going to cycle again in 3 months, then now, or soon should be as good as its going to get. Going through the first cycle was crazy! She must have been soooo uncomfortable and then last month to think she was pregnant and carry toys in her mouth everywhere (even outside while going potty, she would keep one in her mouth) it was funny and cute but must have been stressful for her because she was constantly whining. AND got these bumps on the outside of her ears (that if they don't go away soon I am going to have to ask the vet about them too!)

OK, I'll look into mailing away for a test. My vet wants to charge $200 for it. And if she comes back positive, she won't spay her, I will have to go elsewhere for more $$$.

Narita's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-10-07

Pet Profiles

Good news... Vetnostics charges $65 for the VWD test. THANK YOU!!!!

(Vetgen $99)