My boy swallowed a chicken wing...! :-(

8 replies [Last post]
Joined: 2011-02-21

Pet Profiles

Hi All,

does anyone have any advice on what to do if your dogs swallows a chicken wing? It happend an hour ago and I am really concerned that the bone may get stuck on its way through and I am already worried about the pain (not to mention cost) my boy, Maximus (7 months, male, 62 lbs) he will go through and really keen to make sure I act as soon as possible/necessary.

Or maybe these bones are so small that they can be digested and passed painlessly and maybe I am overreacting (I hope so).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.

Regards,

Leighton

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

Call  your vet!!

blue4's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-02-28

Pet Profiles

If your vet is closed and you can't get anyone, maybe search the posts in Doberman health.  There may be something in there...I've read about dog's swallowing stuff.  I have no idea how dangerous this situation is...Lady Kate has a point about contacting a vet.

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

Okay. Chris, they're off line.. maybe they went to call.. meant to ask if the wing was cooked or raw... I have heard that giving a piece of bread might help coat the swallowed 'thing'.

Murreydobe's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-15

It's always a good idea to call your vet and check when you think you might have a problem.

You didn't say whether the chicken wing was raw or cooked???

Anytime a dog swallows something that has sharp edges, as cooked chicken bones frequently can have,  it's a good idea to give them a couple of slices of bread.  This will kind of "coat" those edges, and help avoid any damage to the insides of the dog.  Best to do this ASAP, most food moves out of the stomach within a couple of hours.

If the dog swallowed the chicken wing whole, without chewing, there probably was more of a danger of the dog choking on it at that time than of the dog becoming obstructed from it. 

Slices of really dense whole wheat bread soaked in milk frequently can be effective at pushing things through that might cause an obstruction.  You can give a couple of slices of this bread per hour.

 

But again, best to check with your own vet.

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

Thanks Murreydobe.. Good to know about the milk.

I agree with all the advice above. If it is raw then it will probably be just fine. I feed raw to one of my dogs and have had quite a few scares with him swallowing things whole such as an entire turkey drumstick meat and all (that one really freaked me out) and chicken wings. They seem to digest pretty well.

Joined: 2011-02-21

Pet Profiles

THank you all. I had gone offline as I am living in Frankfurt Germany so it was already very late and I couldnt keep my eyes open any longer. Now I wish I had waited up longer because I had not thought that the break/milk idea would need to be within a few hours. I tried it anyway but obviously now Maximus has slept the night through so I am guessing the bones may already be no longer in the stomach.

Anyway, he's fine so far and I will keep an eye on his poop for blood.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Leighton

Murreydobe's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-08-15

<< Now I wish I had waited up longer because I had not thought that the break/milk idea would need to be within a few hours. I tried it anyway but obviously now Maximus has slept the night through so I am guessing the bones may already be no longer in the stomach.>>

 

Just to clarify a little here..if a dog has swallowed something sharp and you want to try to coat those sharp edges, you give just plain bread.  You should do this ASAP, hopefully as soon as you see the dog swallow the material,  in order to hopefully blunt those edges before it does any damage to the stomach, as well as the intestines.

If you have a possible blockage situation (which could be anything, and not necessarily anything with sharp edges), you can try the dense whole wheat bread soaked in milk method.  With this, you give the dog a couple of slices once an hour.  In this situation, you can start any time you think the dog may be starting to obstruct, and continue, because you're trying to push the material through the intestines as well as the stomach.

Two different remedies for two different situations.  With the second, I've been told it's important to use whole wheat bread, my vet actualy told me about it and said the cheaper the bread, the better.

With either method, it's important to use some common sense.  As the OP mentioned, he/she is now going to keep their eyes open for blood in the dog's poop, which could be caused by swallowing a sharp object.

 The first time I tried the bread/milk method, it was under my vet's supervision.  The dog looked like it was starting to obstruct via xray.  We did the bread/milk thing for 24 hours, then I brought the dog back in for another xray.  The material had passed.   Since then, I've used the method a couple of times, but ony on a short term basis, like maybe overnight, to see if the dog perks up and poops.

But if the dog continues to not eat, doesn't poop,  starts to vomit, show abdominal discomfort or anything of the sort, it's time to get the dog to a vet.  Some objects aren't going to pass no matter what you do, and this can become life threatening.