Feeding grapes

10 replies [Last post]
Lilahlove's picture
Offline
Joined: 2015-12-06

Pet Profiles

Pls help! I just fed my puppy two grapes but now have read that grapes are toxic!!! Lilah loves carrots and apples for snack. She had her head in the frige so we handed her a couple grapes not thinking. Do you think she will be ok?

AresMyDobie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2015-02-28

Pet Profiles

Oh my ... I always Google before every giving my dogs anything that might be questionable. You might need to call the emergency vet and ask them what to do. When giving apples never give the seeds or cores the seed contain small amounts of cyanide and be very harmful to the dog.

How is she acting ?

Lilahlove's picture
Offline
Joined: 2015-12-06

Pet Profiles

She's acting very puppy like and active, peeing fine. No diahrea or vomiting. I did more research on line so hopefully just the two hasn't hurt her. Thank you. I feel so dumb.

AresMyDobie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2015-02-28

Pet Profiles

Keep a very close eye on her. If it were me I would call the vet and ask for advice :) 

SteveBeitz's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-08-27

Pet Profiles

I take issue with the comment "hopefully just the two haven't hurt her".  @Lilahlove I don't mean to be offensive or mean, however you really need to think through that statement a bit more in the future.

The whole idea that hopefully (insert whatever here) will work out is irresponsible, you need to look and consider what happens when you're wrong.

Yes, eating two grapes might be fine, but what happens when it's not?  The puppy dies, you rush to the vet your bill costs 10 times what it would have had you brought the dog in immediately, etc.  If your dog eats something poisonious getting their stomach pumped is probably going to be much cheaper than medication and treatment should they fall ill.  

Remember, even if you're right 9 times out of 10, when you're wrong on the 10th time you lose your dog.  Also note that every dog is different, while one dog might eat a whole bunch of grapes and be fine, another dog could die at two grapes.  I speak from personal experience after losing a dog to hops poisoning, I had no idea they were poisonous (or that she had even eaten them in the first place) but when she started acting weird I called the vet and rushed her in when I found out how poisonous they are - I didn't make it in time.

 

Lilahlove's picture
Offline
Joined: 2015-12-06

Pet Profiles

Thank you both for your responses and @stevebeitz for your tragic personal experience. I really do appreciate it. It has helped me be a better dobie Mom. I did call the vet and Lilah is doing great! 

karie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-10-10

Pet Profiles

so glad to hear lilah is ok !

talisin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-02-25

Well I have to admit I fed my collie several grapes he loved them and I had no idea they were toxic, he never had any issues I probably fed them to him a couple of times over one summer then I read they were toxic - I was horrified......who knew.....I mean I worked at a vet hospital we never saw fruit poisoning, we never talked about it, it never came up......so I had no clue......I look back and count my lucky stars he survived cause he would eat 4-5 at a time......I feel like a horrible mom now, this was of course over 10years ago but still I feel terrible.....so now my motto is nothing people oriented without checking....

My advice is pick up the phone and call the vet and tell them immediately what you have done, the vet can decide the toxic value of each grape and the weight of the dog and tell you if you need to bring the dog in or if the dog will be fine......but definitely CALL the vet if you don't want to drive down.....there are also pet poison hotlines now......

 

SIH002's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-12-15

I also have to admit to feeding grapes to dogs years ago, with no ill effects.  But with age and more information so readily available on the internet, and THIS SITE.  I check  everthing out now, and have even posted the most toxic items on my fridge as a reminder everyday what NOT to let the dogs eat.

Love this site for getting great advice from everyone, has been very helpful with Ti & T'Pol.

I truly don't think that a couple of grapes are going to hurt any decent sized dog - mine have grabbed them over the years when they fell on the floor, etc...  I say the same thing about chocolate. If I freaked out everytime one of my dogs got a dropped bit of chocolate, it would be freak city at least once a month - haha. 

That said, I never give my dogs grapes or chocolate on purpose... but over the past 23 years with Dobermans, they have never had an issue with an occasional grape or bit of chocolate  ;-)

Lilahlove's picture
Offline
Joined: 2015-12-06

Pet Profiles

Thank you everyone for comments! This has been a very good learning experience! I am much more careful!