Eep! Bee stings!

5 replies [Last post]
roxi's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-08-20

Pet Profiles

My poor little Roxi got stung by a bee today while she was out going potty :[  She's turned into a depressed looking pile of goo (I wanted to both laugh and cry at the sight of her).  So, right now her dad's watching her.  Are Dobermans allergic to bee stings?  I've heard of some dogs being allergic, and I was wondering if anyone's ran into any problems before?

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

Be sure the stinger is out.. and some folks say honey is good to take the sting away. .. I'd go right for the Benedryl. You can rub some benedryl ointment on the sting, and call your vet to see if Roxi can take OTC benedryl.. Yes, they can be allergic to the stings of bees and wasps.. keep an eye on it.

Google "bee stings and dogs" and see what sounds good to you.

roxi's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-08-20

Pet Profiles

Thanks!  It was so sad, she was just walking along and then she started shaking her leg.  She was a big girl and didn't whine, but you could tell she was hurt by the look on her face :[  I got her to sit and checked it out.  The stinger was still there, so we got that off and she was limping a bit, so I carried her.  She didn't look to have any swelling by the spot, but it was tender, as she did yip a little when I touched the area.

She woke up from a nap about an hour and a half ago and is doing fine now. :]  I was a bit worried, though.  I'll still keep an eye on the paw just in case. :D  Thanks, Lady Kate!

rgreen4's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-26

Years ago while modifying a dog house, I got stung by a wasp that was in the insulation and I distrubed him. My neice who was there is an LVN and I commented to her when I did not have a reaction, that at least I now knew I was not alergic to wasp stings. Her response was that I still did not, as one never has a reaction to the first sting or exposure to something we are alergic to. The reason is the body has not determined that it does not like it.

The second exposure is the one that caused the reaction as now the body recognizes the element and then causes the reaction. BTW - I still don't know for I have not been stung a second time.

That being said, I'm sure she was confused and was grateful that mama was there to take care of her. I'm not surprised she was confused, it took me a few seconds to realize where that burning was coming from. You know know how stoic our little furry friends are, if this had been a child, they would have been screaming. Our Dobie puppy just looks at it and wonders where that hurt came from.

Lady Kate's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-28

Pet Profiles

Glad Roxi is doing well...Just for extra sure-ness ( it's a word) be sure she does not have any trouble breathing..

Bees.. Yikes.. one of our daughters is so allergic to their sting, she has to carry epinephrine  with her at all times..

roxi's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-08-20

Pet Profiles

Yeah, I told my co-worker about it and she said it's normally the second sting that will inform me of an allergy.  Let's just hope it doesn't happen again!  It was enough to make me sad :[