250 mile road trip & diarrhea

13 replies [Last post]
Kar-jinx's picture

Pet Profiles

We just brought back a beautiful and well mannered one year old neutered red male 250 miles from Indiana to Ontario, Canada. He is a registered purebred. The former owner said she switched brands of food from time to time and said not to worry, he eats every brand. Looks like from his breed history he comes from good stock.
Well, the poor boy slept half of the trip and didn't seem upset on Saturday, but has had a couple bowel movement Sunday, and during the night wanted out, and had diarrhea. More today.
We have a vet appointment for tomorrow @ noon. Vet says to feed him boiled white rice with chicken bouillon for now or starve him for 24 hours. Bring in a sample. Lots of water so he won't dehydrate. He could have one imodium tablet today and another tonight if the loose stool continues.
According to the former owner, he was recently wormed & checked for parasites 3 weeks ago. All shots on may 2nd as well.
Does any one have other or conflicting advise? Do you think it's stress or food, or both. He seems fine other wise. Playing in the yard and all. Lots of gas though! Thank heaven for open window season! Former owner says he was always dropping bombs and installed a ceiling fan to disperse the fumes. I would also appreciate any info on lessening the fart problem too. Would having his anal glands expressed help? I have never done this and would consult someone with experience.
Thanks so much for any help!
Karen

Happydance's picture

Pet Profiles

It certainly could be stress.  Don't worry, it won't hurt to not feed him for a while to give his tummy a chance to rest.  Your vet is right, be careful about dehydration. Leave his anal glands alone, they have nothing to do with this.

Dennis Miller's picture

Farting and Dobermans go hand in hand I think.  Find a good quality dry food and stick with it, no changes. the poor dog's internal organs are goofed up with all the changing from previous owner.  Anal glands really have nothing to do with it.  I think it is a combination of stress, food and the trip.  Goog luck and would love to see pictures.

Kaisesr's picture

Pet Profiles

Probably the stress poor guy.  My dog just had his first boot of that lasted 2 days watery loose stools.  I feed him ground browned turkey 2 cups in the morning and two at 5pm on the second day. They say to add a couple tsp of pumkin but I didn't have any.  Anyways if that didn't work I was going to bring him to the vet with a sample but it did.  Sounds like your doing the right thing by consulting and bringing him to the vet, especially where he is new to you.  He should have a compete physical.  I bet he's ok in few days.. poos thing hugs.

Mary and Kaiser

Kar-jinx's picture

Pet Profiles

We may have to go with the fasting, he had 3 mouthfuls of the chicken broth and rice, then walked away. Last stool was still loose but better formed.  I hate to starve him In his puppy phase.  They are still puppies for 2 full years aren't they?  Former owner took him off puppy formula February 1st on his birthday.  The others had no shape to them at all.

Kar-jinx's picture

Pet Profiles

He did have a complete medical before leaving Indiana.  He also had all of his shots updated last Wednesday.  Worming and flea treatment 3 weeks prior, as well.

Lady Kate's picture

Pet Profiles

Poor guy... I know how bad you must feel..Stick to the blandies for a couple of days.. the pumpkin will really help settle his tummy and digestive tract. Plain yogurt is good for them too. He's been through a lot in a short amount of time. What is his name?

Bless you for taking him home and giving him so much love and attention.. Believe me .. it will come back one hundred fold

Kar-jinx's picture

Pet Profiles

They used the call name of " Daymian ".  His papers say Stealth's Lethal Weapon.  None of the names really suit his mellow love, everyone personality.  Tough names for a sweet disposition.  Do you use canned pumpkin or does it have to be fresh?  Fresh is not in season here right now.  I doubt I would find it.  

talisin's picture

Add probiotics to his diet too, and stress can and will cause diarrhea, I hope the vet concurs it's just stress and you can get through this quickly.

Kar-jinx's picture

Pet Profiles

Things are firmed up this morning.  Hopefully it stays that way.  He sees the vet at noon.  

DJ's Dad's picture

Pet Profiles

Glad to hear he's already getting better.  My DJ had a bout of the runs yesterday as well, and she ate boiled rice and boiled chicken w/ chicken broth added for her two meals yesterday.  She's much better today, and from the evidence I found in the kitchen floor last night, her problem might have been a huge wad of grass that she ate.  Hope your vet visit goes well and everything checks out ok.  Stress can make a dog's stomach very uneasy, so hopefully things settle down for all of you real soon.

Lori's picture

Pet Profiles

couple things to keep on hand to always help with an upset tummy is Chicken, rice and Canned pumpkin.  (NOT pumpkin pie filler but real canned pumpkin)  The filler has all sugar's and crap that won't help in it.  Should be available at any grocery store.

Rocky has a pretty sensitive tummy.....I feed him Blue Buffalo Salmon and oatmeal.  I miss-judged on vacation how much to send along and my MIL got him the chicken flavor in the same brand.  WHEW the gas!  you may just need to try a few and find a quality food that doesn't do that for him.

Good luck at the Vet's..

Kar-jinx's picture

Pet Profiles

Thanks so much everyone!  Vet says no worms or parasites detected.  If tomorrow his stool is good without any peptobismol or any other helps, I would say all is well.  

Thanks for the tips and advice on what to keep on hand for upset stomach.  

He seemed to have less gas today!  The former owner said he has always been gassy, so I'm open to any more suggestions on any more possible remedies. 

talisin's picture

Ben was VERY gassy on his meds which he has to take every day forever, but the probiotics worked a charm on his gassiness, and he didn't seem to want to eat as much grass to settle his stomach. I think what he has is called Florafi or Florafy it's tasteless and you just open one packet and sprinkle on the food and you're done......vet has it and I think the pet stores have it......