ate half a chocolate cake!

3 replies [Last post]
edorsett's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-07

Gideon my 14month 85lb dobie just ate about half of a chocolate cake :( I worry a bit because he has a sensitive stomach...What are the signs of chocolate poisoning?

rgreen4's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-26

I didn't know so I found this:

http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

Hope it helps. My late parents once had a Lab that opened the cabinet and got a box of chocolates that we had given Mom. He ate about a pound of candy. He never showed any reaction.

I hope Gideon is doing well and not showing any signs of distress. Keep us posted please.

edorsett's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-07

Thank you for the article...He was/is fine. The only reaction he had was he was a little wired up last night, but no other signs or symptoms. I guess the concentration of the chocolate was not that much and he is such a big dog that it didn't affect him. But I always have to keep such a close eye on him. He eats everything!!!

rgreen4's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-26

That reminds me of a TV commercial years ago. I don't remember the product, but the scene was a butcher shop. And the butcher and customers were dogs. The customer was placing a large order and made the comment, "We're have the Dobermans over for supper. Have you ever seen a Doberman eat?" Thought I was going to fall out of the chair on that one.

My Red, literally inhales his food, and is always checking the floors in case I have dropped a tid bit somewhere. Princess is a more orderly and neater eater, but still puts away the kibble.