2 year old female in PA $100.00

9 replies [Last post]
carissa1220's picture

It is with great sadness that my family and I need to sell our red pure bred Doberman. Her name is Dora and she is fixed. She is a very loving to adults, older children, and other pets as long as she isn't tormented. We have a 13 year old, a 3 year old, and a newborn and don't have the time Dora deserves. The main reason we are needing to find her a good home is my 3 year old is constantly tormenting her which is creating mild temperment issues that I know will be resolved once she is away from her. The ideal home for Dora is one with people that can give her lots of love and attention and preferably one with other dogs and no small children.

Please call or text if interested:

Carissa-7177129127

brad-7175790465

Have you contacted Doberman rescues? Does she have a bite history?

talisin's picture

shouldn't the breeder be contacted and the dog returned??

carissa1220's picture

@ Fitzmar- i dont think there are any close to us and she just recently bit my 13 year old after he tried reaching over her while she was sleeping. It was a bite to the ear and required stitches because he pulled away and tore the skin. I dont think the dr. did a report though.

@ Talisin- we've had her a year and a half now and i know the temperment issue is only due to my daughter because when she isnt here Dora is a normal relaxed dog so i never considered contacting the breeder. Is there a law or anything that says they need to refund our money?

MommaL's picture

Let me get this straight ... You allow your child to repeatedly torment your dobie and then want someone to pay you to rescue the poor dog?  Wow.  The dog definitely should be surrendered to a rescue organization that can find it a better situation.  I hope your older child heals quickly.

DJ's Dad's picture

Pet Profiles

per carissa 1220: Is there a law or anything that says they need to refund our money?

Certainly not after you've had the dog for a year and a half, and admit that her behavior problem is solely due to being ..'constantly tormented'.. by your child. (your words) 

I'm sure that contacting the breeder was suggested so that the original breeder can try to find a more suitable home for Dora, not to refund your money.

talisin's picture

Thank you DJ's dad for clarifying that for me :))

Yes Carissa I was suggesting that you contact the breeder because a responsible breeder will have in your purchase agreement some statement to the effect that in the event you need to rehome your dog you must first allow them the breeder to take the dog back, something like that......a reputable breeder will take their dog back......so please before your dog gets a permanent behavior problem contact the breeder and let your dog go back without expecting any monetary compensation. The point is you bought the dog, you don't want the dog so the breeder is doing you a favor and protecting their dog at the same time, they are not wanting to buy the dog back they are protecting their puppy from possible abuse or shelter death......selling your dog to a stranger means that the breeder is no longer capable of tracking their puppy for any future purposes such as needing to contact the buyer with any health updates etc. now their puppy is in the hands of someone who bought her from you and will disappear.....and those people may rehome and those people may rehome or they may get bored with the dog and drop her at a shelter and their she will die as they do not do well in a shelter environment - that's why the breeders will require you return the dog......consider this money well spent to learn the doberman is not the breed for your family at this time, you aren't selling a piece of furniture you are sending a life out into the unknown without a safety net, contact the breeder to keep Dora safe from ending up at a shelter.

I work in rescue and to be very blunt - if you sell your dog to a stranger there is a possibility that her bite history could make her do the same in the new family's home and what if that person has a short temper?? then what?? here are some of the things I have seen come across my rescue desk - the person got angry cause the dog bit their child they went into a rage and beat the dog to death; they throw the dog outside to live it's natural life without human companionship; they take the dog to the vet and euthanize; they drop at the shelter cause they can't stand the thought of euthanisia but it's ok if some stranger kills their dog for them; or they get mad and shoot the dog on the spot; there are so many things that could happen to Dora if you don't return her......surely the $100 is not enough money to risk the above abuse to her.......

I hope that helps.....

PS. in answer to the question - there is no law that states you get your money back reason being - the law actually sees dogs, in all states I believe, as property - just like the furniture I mentioned, so theoretically you bought a piece of property like a sofa or a refridgerator and you have had said piece of property for almost 2 years, and suddenly your lifestyle has caused damage to that property and now you want to return said property to seller (breeder) and get your money back......I don't know of any consumer law that allows that......and then morally speaking you are talking about a life in the eyes of the public maybe not the law but that is the most important piece of this equation

Talisin is correct and my bad for not suggesting that you contact your breeder first.... must have been tired!!

Any reputable breeder will take back the dog for any reason.  And NO they would not refund your money after a year and 1/2 - it will cost them wayyyyy more than $100 to rehome a dog. Sometimes if they resell a puppy or young dog, they may refund some money after deducting the cost to them of rehoming. 

Most bybers will not take back dog that they bred - so once you contact your breeder, you will know what kind she came from. 

The fact that she has bitten, may mean that a rescue will not take her - too much liability. AND if you lie to them and she bites in the future, you would be liable also. 

carissa1220's picture

No I do not allow my daughter to torment her. Ppl that know the situation dont even consider it torment, those are my words because I feel bad for Dora when she is trying to sleep and my daughter scares her awake (and I yell at her everytime). Sure I could put Dora outside but I don't believe in that and it's not her fault. And honestly the money isn't an issue because personally I want to give her away but due to how much we paid for her my husband wanted to get at least something for her. Also we didnt get her from a reputable breeder because it was an Amish man that only accepting cash and there was no agreement. I normally believe in getting dogs through shelters and rescues but my husband went and made arrangements to buy Dora. And my son's ear is fully healed, he uses his little scar to try to get girlfriends lol.

talisin's picture

oh wow, first don't just give her away there are so many horror stories of what happens to dogs that are FREE so horrific I will not talk about the abuse they endure it gives me nightmares....unless you know the people personally and have for years there is NO ONE you should GIVE your dog too....the "bully" breed type dogs have people that are searching for them and will do anything to get them including paying people to pose as happy fun families and once the dog is adopted or a small fee paid the dog endures horrors you don't want to know about.....

The only safe place for your dog at this time would be a reputable doberman rescue.....not all rescues are reputable.....but they will do home checks and rechecks to make sure the dog is in a good environment.....and you are right you don't want to stick your dog outside.....that is unfair...

Please contact rescue to solve this issue.....