Just got my puppys ears cropped on 12/2/11. She's 9 weeks old. What do you guys think?

51 replies [Last post]
Jabs87's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

btripp3288's picture
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Do you have any close ups. She looks good from this view. I just had my dogs ears cropped on Novermber 17th. He is in his first posting now. You can take a look at my thread if you want to see pictures. http://www.gentledoberman.com/forums/doberman-pinscher-discussion/doberman-pinscher-ears/jace-getting-his-ears-cropped-tomorrow-pi

Where did you get the cropping done?

finding Jackson's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

fierce and cute. medium crop?

.... and we wonder why people outside of our breed are so against cropping!  Posting pictures of puppies that look miserable is not helping the cause JMHO. 

I don't understand why any vet would put a newly cropped puppy on a rack and then make them wear an e-collar. 

I'm not against cropping .... obviously, I just wish more vets who do it knew what they were doing. There is no need for a puppy to have to deal with what your puppy is dealing with. 

This is a whole litter with cups - no e-collars ever and no tape around their head ever. 

DJ's Dad's picture
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 1 min ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Good luck with your puppy's ears. She's a real cutie!

My vet never uses cups, just wooden tongue depressor sticks, wrapped in gauze and padded at the bottom where they go into the ear, wrapped in double sided tape so they stick to the inside of the ear better, and then taped together at the top.  I have had several dobermans cropped this way over the years, and have never ever used a rack or an e-collar.  The stitches and edges were exposed for healing, and I never had a problem.  I suppose all vets have their own personal way of cropping and posting, though.  Who's to say what's right and what's wrong.

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

Yup it's a medium crop. I got them done with Dr.Nave in Las Vegas.  I agree with Fitzmar, I absolutely HATED that "cone of shame". I could tell it bothered her so of course it bothered me too! I wouldn't say she was miserable though. She doesn't seem to mind the rack. This picture was taken the same day they were cropped. I'll be posting more pictures later. Thanks for the feedback! 

Pet Profiles

haha, it looks like an upside down cup cult. love it!

good point, but i suspect my fellow Americans will still be eager to press their opinions toward me. 

gun_slinger2006's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Boy!! they sport some hardware nowdays. Jax started with the cup on his head but it was gone by the time he came home. Jewel was started the same way Ziva did, Tounge depressors and tape.

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

HELP!!!! I took this while she was sleeping.

btripp3288's picture
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

O wow. Did she scratch at it or something. Looks really swollen and almost looks like the stitches are coming out or maybe that is the doctors stitch job... Did you get any pain meds or antibiotics?

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

I think she scratched it. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I've been giving her pain meds every morning. Her stitches are supposed to be taken out in a couple of days but I'm gonna have them check her out in the morning! Just in case!

Doesn't look bad. I've seen worst. Ditch the pain meds. It doesn't hurt as much as itch, not to mention that contraption on her head that she wants OFF and IMO that's what she's trying to remove. Relax, unless you see "bleeding", just watch her and it will help if you can distract her as much as possible (start teaching her). From the pic, just looks like she broke a couple of the stitches but looks like the wound is not open. Bring her in, let the vet look her over. 

Fitzmar, I kinda agree with you about posting pics but how better can a first time owner with a cropped puppy (who is nervous) ask us, the more experienced owners, if their puppy is OK or needs to seek veterinarian help? A picture speeks a thousand words.

sorry, speaks...oopsie

gun slinger - It is the vets that piss me off when they do what they did to this puppy - the owner is right to be asking questions.  There are so few vets that really know how to do a good crop - I just HATE seeing people floundering around trying to find help and answers - when IMHO this is the breeders job!  Owners should not have to go through getting their puppies ears cropped and figure out how to take care of them - this should have been done before they got their puppy. 

I personally don't have a problem with uncropped Dobermans.... but if they are going to be cropped, then it should be the breeders responsibility to do so. JMHO

For the OP - if the ear is swollen then you should see the vet - you don't want to risk infection.  The stiches just were not trimmed. You can use a little antibiotic cream on the edges - won't hurt and might help.

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

Yeah I wish her ears were cropped by the breeder too. She's a bday gift from my wife though. I've wanted a Dobe for a while now so of course I've read a bunch of articles online about aftercare but I never thought it would be this stressful! I guess I just worry about her being ok. Sorry for pissing you off Fitzmar. I promise I'm doing the best I can for her.

You don't piss me off at all - you are doing the best you can with very little knowledge - but are seeking answers to your questions .... which is a good thing!

I get ticked at breeders who sell puppies to people and let them flounder around trying to find vets that crop, learn how to post, etc.....  These things are a breeders responsibility.  I'm more mad on the behalf of new Doberman owners everywhere that are left on their own to figure this stuff out.

Pet Profiles

I agree with Fitzmar. The breeder should take care of the initial phase of cropping. It's my first time dealing with ear crops and it would have been a lot to handle as a rookie. 

We used neosprin to speed up the healing when he scratched the hell out of the right ear. Neosprin is good to have for all sorts of minor cuts that Jax incurs from playing rough with other dogs. BTW, dobies are amazing. I thought him not to scratch his ears when he had the tape on by scolding him like he was being potty trained. So he sort of air-scratched (like playing air guitars) but did not open up any wounds anymore. 

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

Hey guys! Heres a picture of her with her ears free. What do you guys think?

HarleyBear's picture
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

What a beautiful little girl!

DobyZOE's picture
User offline. Last seen 46 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

I'm curious...What is the age range or best age to get your doby's ears cropped.  I have a 9 week old pup and have not gotten them done yet.  Am I waiting too long or if she gets them done at a later time, will it be alright?

CATO's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

To DobyZoe........I have always heard 12 weeks is the cut off, but I would trust a vet over me. :)

CATO

DobyZOE's picture
User offline. Last seen 46 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Hi Cato, I read 12 weeks, as well.  But, I was looking at the pictures and the pups looked so much younger than that, like around the age of Zoe.  During the holidays, I'm going to make my first appointment with a vet and try to get all my questions answered. 

Thx so much, DobyZOE

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

So my vet did the first posting on my puppy! And like Fitzmar said he really is an idiot! I decided I would let him do the first one and I would do it my self after that. When I took her in to get the posting done I didn't like the way they did it. It looked like they used way too much tape! So after 5 days they took everything off and now she has a bunch of bald spots! I was so pissed off! We arent going back to that vet. I did the new posting myself yesterday and this is what it looks like. It looks way crooked sometimes but when shes playing they look good. What do you guys think?

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

Some Vets can ruin a good investment by being sloppy or just in too much of a hurry when croping and posting. Some make it a speciality and charge an arm and a leg in addition to the ears. I am not at all happy with our litter Vet, so we are seeing a new Vet on the day we pick him up from the croping(SP).

CATO

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

Our bredding male of years ago had a short crop or what some call a military crop. His ears were erect, but very short. They made him look like a pit bull with a long muzzle. Not the prettiest site in the world, but his ears did not change his behavior. He was the sweetest dobe I can remember. He was a great helper around the house, watched the children and would not allow them to go down the stairs alone. He never climbed onto the furniture until told it was ok and he always sat on the floor next to any guest that may have dropped in to say hello. Every one loved that dog. He was a big ugly red that produced beautiful dobermans.

We miss you, buddy!

CATO

Sir-Phin's picture
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

DobyZoe, you can get an ear crop done preferably by 9 weeks but even up to the age of 12 weeks, after that the cartilage will start thickening and the crease in a floppy ear will end up making the ear stand properly much more difficult.

Phin was just under 10 weeks when we had his ears cropped and they stood within a month of posting.

JO_SIE70's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Ouch. All of this looks painful and traumatic. I don't understand why you would want to do this to any dog. Its taking away what nature intended- nice flappy, expressive and useful ears. Thank god its banned in the UK. I would never put any dog through this!

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog."
- Gene Hill

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

Gene....not all puppys suffer a painful ear cropping and tail docking. While true, it is a human thing to bring about altering the ears and tail, but I think it goes way back to when the dog was an early breed. Hearing is improved according to some vets, yet others would argue, so it just comes down to preferrences according to the work your dobbie will do.

Cato just had his cropping on the 28th and he has as of yet to need a pain pill. The stupid vet that did his ears did not wrap them so a slight infection settled in. He is now on anti-biotics for the next few days, but he is one happy Doberman.

Bob

DJ's Dad's picture

Pet Profiles

@JO_SIE70: I can pretty much guaratee you that Ziva was in much LESS pain and discomfort after her ear cropping than she was after her spay surgery. Surely you dont think that being spayed or neutered is a terrible thing, too, do you?  Ziva never needed any pain meds after the ear cropping, never needed an e-collar to keep her from scratching, never even acted like those sticks in her ears bothered her the slightest bit.  Now, when she was spayed, she moped around the house for 2 days, had to take pain meds, walked with her tummy tucked up as much as possible, moved in slow motion, and groaned a lot while trying to get comfortable to sleep. Obviously she was in pain and was uncomfortable for a few days afterwards----but I still felt it was a necessary thing that I have done for her, and for me.  Cropping might not be for everyone, but don't knock it for those who choose to have it done, please.  I have always had cropped ears on my dobermans, and have never owned one with natural ears, but I certainly dont (and never will) tell people how wrong it is to leave them uncropped.  Courtesy is a two-way street you know.

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

AMEN!

Sir-Phin's picture
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Well said, Phin couldn't have care any less about his ears after his cropping and never took anything other than the preventative antibiotics.

JO_SIE70's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

"I have always had cropped ears on my dobermans, and have never owned one with natural ears, but I certainly dont (and never will) tell people how wrong it is to leave them uncropped.  Courtesy is a two-way street you know."

Ziva's dad I am not telling everyone how wrong it is, I am just expressing my opinion that I don't beleive ear cropping is a neccessary or kind procedure and I would not put my own dogs through any procedure which was not proven to be beneficial to their health or wellbeing.

We live in a democratic society, and giving opinons is part of that- what you want to beleive in, or agree with is your choice and has nothing to do with courtesy.

In the UK ear cropping is banned under the animal welfare act where national bodies such as the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (RSPCA) regard the practice of ear cropping as an unnecessary and detrimental to the welfare of the animals concerned- that is UK law not just my opinion. In fact the penalities are severe but I beleive just. Anyone found to have illigally docked or cropped a dogs ears in the uk faces:

• On summary conviction to a maximum of 6 months imprisonment and / or a maximum fine of £5,000;
  • On conviction on indictment (trial by jury) to a maximum of 2 years imprisonment and / or an unlimited fine.

The same 'penalties' have not been applied to those who wish to have their animals neutered or spayed as there is proven medical reasons that this can be of benefit to the animal. My boys aren't neutered, this is my choice but obviously if they required such an operation for their wellbeing then I would not hesitate to have it done.

Josie

chris b.'s picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

Josie, that was lovely, brought a tear to my eyes, thanks for sharing.  Ear cropping is very touchy here, on the web site, but also in the U.S.  I did not crop Tony and Tory's ears, personal decision, that I no longer justify.  You would not beleive the comments that we hear, everything from "glad you didn't" to "they don't look like real dobermans". Now I just walk away, ususally mumbling (oh, shut up jack @$$). Just wanted you to know.  oh, and she is adorable.

Abigail's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 24 weeks ago. Offline

Of ear-cropping isn't necessary, but it isn't unkind. Most everyone who has had their dog's ears cropped will tell you that yes, it is a cosmetic procedure. However, (and I'm not sure if you do this), so is getting your child's ears pierced, and so many other things we feel is fine to do to humans. I don't see anything wrong with cropping a dogs' ears or not cropping, it IS personal preferance.

"All of this looks painful and traumatic. I don't understand why you would want to do this to any dog. Its taking away what nature intended- nice flappy, expressive and useful ears. " It isn't painful or traumatic for most dogs. Nature has very little to do with this, as the Doberman Pinscher is, what shall we say, a 'custom bred dog'? The breed was molded by humans. The floppy ears are there because of the breeds chosen to create the Doberman, and even back when Louis Doberman kept them, pictures show their ears being croppd, so this isn't a new thing. Floppy ears aren't essential to a dog's well-being (German Shepherds, anyone?) 

Please keep in mind, I'm not attacking you, nor is anyone here. I love the quote you posted. Opinions are fantastic, but I hope that your disgust of cropping is just a personal preferance(which is completely fine), not because of mainstream influence. I have seen so many people jump and attack others on Q&A board or other forums, just for asking about cropping their dog's ears. Ziva's Dad is right, courtesy is a two-way street. This thread was made by someone who is excited about doing this with their puppy, made their decision, and is seeking advice, not confrontation. 

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

We Dobermans are here for your enjoyment, your pleasure and to assist you in your work. Cropped ears, docked tails and dew claw removal has never hindered us in providing any of those things. Once we puppys get past the itching all is fine.

Cato

DJ's Dad's picture

Pet Profiles

"Thank you, Abigail" 

HarleyBear's picture
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Well said!

Danegirl's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Hey everyone. I got a Great Dane puppy for Christmas and I have been watching this thread for a few weeks now because I also live in Las Vegas and used Dr. Nave to crop my great dane. The crop looks good but I am also unhappy with his taping jobs. Over the weekend the taping on my 12 week old great dane got wet and I had to remove it. The removal was awful for both of us, I used a gentle adhesive remover, which helped a little but still there are patches of missing hair. Now I need to tape my puppy but my husband refuses to be any part of it now. He thinks only the vet should do it. I have been watching taping videos and reading articles from breeders for weeks preparing to tape myself. I found a medical tape that sticks to itself and not the puppy's hair. I just am having a hard time doing this myself. He hates the tape of course and I don't like seeing him sad. How do I get my dog to remain calm? I really wish I never let my husband get this done. :( Also OP did you find any other Vet in town that can do a good taping? Are you using Dr. Nave for anything else? How has your tape jobs been going? Dane's are much harder to deal with ear crops too, it's going to be a long few months for us. Lucky for you all Dobies seem to get erect ears after a few weeks.

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

Hi Danegirl! I'm going to Dr.Roach at Craig Rd. Animal Hospital now. He's alot better with my puppy than Dr.Nave was. I swear in 4 visits I never spent more than two minutes in the same room with Dr.Nave. Everyone I've talked to tells me he's the best in the state though. I'm actually getting the tape taken off her ears today so I'll let you know how it goes.

KevinK's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 12 hours ago. Offline

Pet Profiles

Jo, while I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just wanted to say, that actually, the ears are more expressive, and more useful when they ARE cropped, not the other way around.  The reason why it is done at a young age, is because the ears are still soft, in other words, the cartilage hasn't hardened...  When done properly, it's a minor procedure, and dogs are typically back to their normal self the same day the procedure is done.  Here, you are looking at an example of a bad vet job, this is certainly not the norm.  THink of it this way, I was cirumsized as an infant, did it hurt, and was it uncomfortable?  Beats me...

And for the record, I am 100% neutral on ear cropping, I don't mind one way or another, and really don't have a preference.  I love dobermans, regardless of how their ears look.

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the itching?

Danegirl's picture

Pet Profiles

Thank you! Yes please do keep me informed about this vet. It seems to me a lot of breeders just prefer to do it themselves. My puppy had a few sores on his head, not sure if it was from itching, playing with other dogs or the tape removal. But I am adament about not using that vet because that tape was stuck to all his fur and it just looks like he rushed. I still can't get all the sticky stuff off and I am trying to just let him be for a day. From what I have seen most breeders use a paper tape or a tape that sticks to itself and not the fur. Anyway keep me updated!!

As far as the itching goes, I don't have any suggestions, I see most Dane owners use goldbond medicated powder to keep the ear dry before they tape. But if it's constant itching I'd wonder if there could be an infection? My puppy doesn't itch too much and when he does I usually stop him and give him a bone to distract him.

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

I do the same to distract, but this little fella has an infection. He goes back to the vet to morrow for a cleaning and retape of the ears. We may have to put a cone on him. If so, that should be an experience for us all.

Danegirl's picture

Pet Profiles

How did it go Jabs?

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

Here's a picture of her messing with some cactus after getting the tape taken off. Looks pretty good to me.

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

Cato would have eaten it. That little fella eats or chews constantly. He is great at cleaning between the toes. He loves it when I come out of the shower cause he licks the water drops off of my back. I think we have him well trained, so far. ;)

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

How old is Cato and how big is he? If you dont mind me asking.

CATO's picture

Pet Profiles

Jabs.............Cato is 9 weeks old and weighs 21 lbs. He is very obedient and is a joy to have around. We learned today that the surgeon that did the ears on Cato left the cartelege exposed so an infection set in. They doctored his ears at my forever Vet and these folks are great and come highly recommended.

Danegirl's picture

Pet Profiles

she's adorable, her ears look great. I wish my danes ears would stay up after a few tapings. Thanks for the picture. Are you going to retape them or are you done now? Did her hair grow back from the old taping? What kind of tape did you use?

Jabs87's picture

Pet Profiles

So my vet taped Rebas ears back up yesterday and said this should be the last time she needs posting. It's only her fourth week posting though! What do you guys think??? Danegirl try this link.Hope it helps.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-ph...

Danegirl's picture

Pet Profiles

How did you like that vets taping? Did he wait 3 days to retape? I don't think waiting 3 days is good thats what Dr. Nave suggested though. Wondering what this vet waited?